The Ultimate Guide to Low-Carb Sweeteners
A discussion between Youtube and KetoConnect couple Megha and Matt
This week’s resource is a fun one. Ever wonder what effect different sweeteners have on your blood glucose (and ketones – if you’re regularly in a ketogenic state)? The KetoConnect couple Mega and Matt test 9 different ones on themselves to see the impact on blood glucose and ketones.
KetoConnect aims to provide informative videos centering around the Ketogenic Diet and in this one they test the following nine sweeteners on themselves charting the results:
- Monk Fruit
As they mention, there results are not necessarily the same as what you would find if you ran this same experiment on yourself, so if you’re curious about how a specific sweetener impacts you. You can use the same protocol to try this experiment on yourself.
Please note, this is looking just at the effect on blood glucose and blood ketones, not at digestive issues, headaches, or other important factors to consider when having a sweetener. Many in our community have mentioned that sweeteners (both artificial and natural) can mess them up. So go slowly and pay attention to the signals your body is sending you if you choose to incorporate any of these into your diet.
Highlights from the video:
- Monk Fruit, Erythritol, Sucralose, and Allulose seemed to be the best options for artificial sweeteners based on their bodies reactions to the experiment
- There bodies reacted differently to each sweetener further adding weight to the argument that we are each an N=1
- Allulose and Erythritol both caused gastric distress
- Here are a few other fasting resources you may enjoy:
- The Fasting Cure—Sinclair, author and enthusiastic faster, shared his knowledge on the subject both in Cosmopolitan Magazine (very different than the modern Cosmo magazine) and in this book, The Fasting Cure.
- Why We Get Fat and What We Can Do About It – What’s making us fat? And how can we change? Building upon his critical work in Good Calories, Bad Calories and presenting fresh evidence for his claim, bestselling author Gary Taubes revisits these urgent questions.
- Some of Dr. Jason Fung and Dr. Megan Ramos’ other books: The Obesity Code, The Diabetes Code, and The Cancer Code