Dr. Jason Fung
Video from Low Carb Vail 2016
The birds-eye view of this video:
- Why Biggest Loser & Calories In Calories Out (CICO) doesn’t work (and patients return to previous weights after ~6 mo.)
- Metabolic slow-down doesn’t apply to fasting
- Insulin and how fat is actually stored in our body
- Burning muscle – disproven with patient data!
- How do you actually lose weight
- Starvation mode – why this doesn’t occur during fast
- “Women shouldn’t fast” argument disputed
- Pros of fasting: free, no prep, so convenient, flexible, fit in with any diet, etc.
- History and religion of fasting – Greeks, religion, why they do it!
A few other notes:
- Dr. Jason Fung is arguably the biggest leader in the of understanding the benefits of fasting for weight loss, reduction of Type 2 Diabetes, etc. and this video succinctly summarizes much of his hypothesis
- One compartment (the way he describes it) means Calories In – Calories Out and he believes this to be an oversimplification that distorts our understanding of how we actually store and release fat (we agree!)
- The Two Compartment Problem gets at the role the hormone insulin plays in our bodies ability to release stored fat