Life in the Fasting Lane
Publish Date: April 7, 2020
Difficulty Level: Easy Read
A great primer on living fasting as a lifestyle; an excellent choice for beginners, but still enjoyable for a more experienced faster as it includes some refined approaches and new personal stories.
- An enjoyable read that shares a lot of Dr. Fung, Dr. Ramos, and Eve Mayer’s personal experiences with fasting and treating patients with obesity, Type 2 Diabetes, and other chronic illnesses
- If you have read their other books, you’ll still find new tidbits and fresh content in this one! For example, they talk about how you never ask your doctor before having a second piece of chocolate cake, why would you ask them about starting a fasting regime. Instead, ask your doctor specific questions about how to adjust your medications in relation to your fasting practice.
- If you’re new to fasting this is one of the best books to start with! If you’re moderate to advanced level and just need a little inspiration this is a great choice. If you’re hoping for a lot of science, new research, or in-depth specifics — this is probably not the book for you, but you might enjoy:
- The Hungry Brain — If you want to know about the role our brain in the modern world plays in weight gain, obesity, and chronic disease
- The Case Against Sugar — If you are curious about what science knows about the most popular powdery white substance
- Some of Dr. Jason Fung and Dr. Megan Ramos’ other books like The Complete Guide to Fasting, The Obesity Code, The Diabetes Code, and The Cancer Code
Take the guesswork (and fear) out of fasting with real-life and expert advice
In recent years, intermittent fasting—restricting calorie intake for a set number of hours or days—has become an increasingly popular diet strategy. While some in the medical community initially dismissed the idea as a dangerous fad, recent research not only validates the safety of fasting for weight loss but also offers compelling evidence of wide-ranging health benefits, from reversal of diabetes and other metabolic disorders to enhanced cognitive function and increased longevity.
But for many who are eager to try out fasting, the regimen can feel a bit intimidating. After all, abstaining from food doesn’t sound like much fun. People rightly wonder: How often can I eat? Will I be able to focus at work? Will I have enough energy to exercise? And perhaps the most concerning question of all: Won’t I be hungry all the time?!
Enter Dr. Jason Fung—world-renowned fasting expert—his colleague, Megan Ramos, and Eve Mayer, who has experienced the life-changing benefits of fasting through Dr. Fung’s program. Together, they’ve teamed up to write a one-of-a-kind guide that answers the most common questions people have about fasting—and offers a customizable program that provides real results.
In Life in the Fasting Lane, Dr. Fung, Ramos, and Mayer take the reader by the hand and walk them through the basics of a fasting lifestyle—from the science behind fasting as a health and weight loss strategy to the real-life choices and dilemmas people commonly encounter. While Dr. Fung and Ramos explain the fundamentals of fasting and offer a customizable approach, Mayer shares her in-the-trenches perspective and hard-won knowledge as a success story who turned her life around with fasting.
With chapters that address everything from meal planning to mental strategies; exercise to socializing, Life in the Fasting Lane is a unique and accessible guide to developing a sustainable and beneficial fasting routine that offers dramatic, lifelong results.
Link to book: https://www.harpercollins.com/products/life-in-the-fasting-lane-dr-jason-fungeve-mayermegan-ramos?variant=32159490277410
Find it on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Life-Fasting-Lane-Intermittent-Lifestyle_and/dp/0062969447
Really interesting post!